This year our annual conference will be looking at the subject of Men and Bereavement. Our conference this year is kindly sponsored by Blacks Solicitors LLP.
- Date: Thursday 14 June during Men’s Health Week
- Location: Thackray Medical Museum
- Time: 10am – 4.30pm (Registration from 9.30am)
Male grief is all too often invisible, misunderstood, and unwanted, which leaves many men in the difficult position of having to deal with their grief on their own, if they deal with it at all. At our conference this year we will be looking at the different ways in which men face bereavement and what we can do as professionals to support men better.
We have a great line up of speakers including:
- Karen Eden | Operational Manager, Halton Haven Hospice
- Ian Leech | Community Engagement Manager, St Giles Hospice
- Sheryl McMahon and Carl Ellis | Chair and Group Facilitator, Leeds Sands
- Andy Wilson | Co-facilitator, Leeds Branch of Andy’s Man’s Club
Workshop 1 – The Grammar of Grief
Poet and performer Erin Bolens will talk about her experience of using poetry and creative creative writing as tools to navigate bereavement and normalise conversations about mortality. Erin will read from her book ‘What Leave Behind’ and lead practical writing exercises exploring legacy, loss and the gender stereotypes associated with grief.
Details to be confirmed.
The Life and Soul from Red Ladder Theatre Company
Jim’s always been a bit of a character, just like his Dad, and spends most of his life between the bookies, the pub and the football. He’s always had this lingering feeling though that he doesn’t quite fit into this world, that there’s something different about him, something wrong…
Jim’s never told his story to anyone before, but tonight he’s going to tell it to you…
The Life and Soul is written by Chris O’Connor, directed by Rod Dixon and produced by Jen Sullivan.
Response for the Day Final Panel
The day will conclude with a Response for the Day Final Panel chaired by Dr Laura King, with panellists including:
- Rod Dixon | Artistic Director, Red Ladder Theatre Company
- Reverend Mark Harwood | Methodist Minister, Roscoe Methodist Church
- Sarah Jones | Funeral Director, Full Circle Funerals
- Professor Alan White | Founder and Co-director of the Centre for Men’s Health at Leeds Beckett and Chair of the Board of Trustees for the Men’s Health Forum
Cost for the conference is £50 including all refreshments and lunch. Parking at the Thackray Medical Museum is £4 per day. Concession prices are available please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. To book your place please visit Eventbrite.
Feedback from previous conferences
“Well presented and organised. Good atmosphere, would recommend.”
“Really enjoyed the day. Very interesting talks and workshops. Well done LBF!”
“Good time management. Lovely to have opportunities to share personal thoughts and feelings.”
Share this post