This year our annual conference will be looking at the subject of Diversity and Inclusion in Bereavement Support. Our conference this year is kindly sponsored by Blacks Solicitors LLP.
- Date: Wednesday 19 June 2019
- Location: Thackray Medical Museum
- Time: 10am – 4.30pm (Registration from 9.30am)
We know from the work we do that some groups in society are left inadequately supported during their end of life and bereavement experiences. This conference is aimed at promoting and raising awareness, understanding and equality when providing bereavement support and communicating with people from diverse backgrounds.
The conference will have many examples through talks and workshops of different bereavement experiences from people with Learning Disabilities; LGBT, BME, Children and Young People and Gypsy and Traveller communities. The conference is held during Learning Disability Week, LGBT Pride Month and Gypsy Roma and Traveller History Month.
We have a great line up of speakers including:
- Dr Sue Westwood | Social gerontologist and a socio-legal scholar, who researches, teaches and write about LGBT ageing and associated (in)equality issues, University of York
- Clare Price | Freelance trainer and a Service Delivery Coordinator for Cruse Bereavement Care Leeds who will be talking with Annette Probets and Chris Charlton from Cafe Leep.
- Khadijah Ibrahiim | Artistic Director of Leeds Young Authors and the Producer of Leeds Youth poetry Slam festival.
- Fatima Bhula | Solicitor, sharing two very different experiences around the stillbirth of a baby, and the death of a parent.
- Nicola Clarke | new Bereavement Support Practitioner in Leeds at Child Bereavement UK
- Nicole Fletcher | Service Co-ordinator and Chloe Haines | Bereavement Therapist from Jane Tomlinson Appeal new bereavement service.
- Andrea Kerslake | Co-Founder of Elliot’s Footprint who will be talking about their new service working in partnership with Forget Me Not Children’s Hospice for suddenly bereaved parents in the Leeds/Huddersfield area.
We will be running two workshops during the day
- Working and engaging with the Gypsy and Travelling community; Assets, culture, barriers health and bereavement led by Elizabeth Keat | Queens Nurse, Outreach Nurse Gypsy/Traveller community and Hannah Wilson | Palliative Care Nurse Specialist for Wheatfields Hospice.
- Bereavement support for people with learning disabilities; reducing inequality led by Clare Price | Freelance trainer and a Service Delivery Coordinator for Cruse Bereavement Care Leeds
Cost for the conference is £50 including all refreshments and lunch. Parking at the Thackray Medical Museum is £4 per day. Concession prices are available please contact email@example.com for more information. To book your place please visit Eventbrite.
Feedback from our 2018 Conference
“Absolutely wonderful and heart breaking at the same time. So much to take away. Thank you.”
“Very interesting and well presented. Given me lots to think about.”
“LBF – you have got it so right this year, spot on speeches, spot on subject, spot on conference. Well done. Thank you.”
“Excellent day. Very informative and great use of different ways to engage the audience.”
“Feeling inspired the whole day. Brilliant conference this year. Enjoyed the interactions and feeling part of – enabling self exploration and hearing people’s real life stories and experiences.”
Share this post